Bronx Attorney For Probate And Estate Planning
Tailoring Legal Strategies Exactly To Your Needs
Every person’s situation is different. When you need a lawyer, it is essential to have someone on your side who understands that your needs — whether financial or emotional — have to be met quickly and with care.
My name is Lorraine Coyle, and I am an attorney with Coyle & Associates LLP in the Bronx. After graduation from law school, I worked in a Wall Street law firm before opening my own practice in Riverdale. Now I also have an office at Park Avenue. I have practiced law since 1981, and have successfully represented thousands of clients throughout the New York City area over my career.
Before we go further, let’s look at some of the facts about estate planning and elder law:
- The federal estate tax exemption for 2017 is $5,499,000. This means if your estate is under this amount no estate tax will be due. There is also an unlimited exemption for bequests to a U.S. citizen spouse. Above that the top tax rate is 40 percent.
- The estate tax exemption in New York state until March 31, 2017, is $4,187,500.
- New York state exempts from Medicaid the marital home up to $828,000 if it is your primary residence.
Learn more about estate planning, probate and elder law in New York state.
I know that everyone has different needs. As your lawyer, I am always prepared to invest the time and effort necessary to ensure that when you walk out of my office you are comfortable that your goals have been met and the documents that I have prepared are right for you. It is really important to understand what you have signed to know that it will achieve what you want — not a cookie-cutter approach but one that recognizes that your situation is different from your neighbor or from the client who was last in the office. You are the priority.
Working Intelligently and Effectively to Achieve Your Goals
My law firm, Coyle & Associates LLP, is devoted to only three areas of law. I learned long ago that a lawyer who does everything does nothing well. Within each of these areas, I offer substantive experience and knowledge.
- Estate planning and probate: I devise wills, trusts, powers of attorney and other documents necessary to pass your estate on to the beneficiaries you choose. For most people this means their family but sometimes there are other important people or charities in their lives. Just remember that other than a spouse who is entitled to 1/3 of your estate (with some exceptions), you choose your estate plan and you may give equal shares to family members or favor one over the other, but whatever you decide will be right for you.
- Medicaid planning and elder law: The cost of nursing home care or in-home care is staggering – about $150,000 per year in New York and Westchester. Medicaid can cover these costs, but only if you qualify and only if you have done the appropriate and legal planning. With an attorney on your side who understands these laws, you may be able to qualify for Medicaid without having to spend your life savings.
- Real estate: As a licensed real estate broker in addition to an attorney, I have the experience and insight you need to help you purchase or sell a house, condominium or co-op.
We’ll work together to get you what you need.
Call 800-371-5844 or complete our intake form to schedule your initial consultation. My Riverdale law firm is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays and by appointment on weekends. I am in the Park Avenue office often so you can always make an appointment to suit your needs.